Merge or Cherry-Pick?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 21:22:13 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, February 1, 2011, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > something that hasn't been written down as far as I can see (if I
> > overlooked it, please point me to it) is what the policy on kdelibs is
> > to be now wrt. merging vs. cherry-picking of changes in branches and
> > master?
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Not replying to any particular response in this thread...
>
> I don't know whether I missed something, if so, please let me know.

no, you didn't miss anything. right now i think everyone is very busy getting
up to speed with the basics. for instance, i spent a good portion of the day
today struggling with git.reviewboard.kde.org (sysadmin was very helpful, but
things are still rough in places ..)

there's also the issue that it appears that the 4.6 branch is unmergable with
master, complicating things for the time being. in fact, it encourages cherry-
picks when probably it should be merges.

then i learned today to be extra vigilant about doing `git pull --rebase` and
not just `git pull` so i don't accidentally throw merge commits in there while
preping for a push.

and so yes, it's all a bit hap-hazzard at the moment and many of us are
learning at a brisk pace. ;) those that may have much of this information are
busy with supporting the migration itself.

so ... how do we go from where we are now to where we need to be with
documentation? well ..

.. i think we need to stop hoping for someone else to do the work. :)

there's an email coming in a new thread to get that moving.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se