proposal: remove KTextEditor interface from kdelibs repository

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 20:48:54 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 01 February 2011, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 01.02.11 19:49:10, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dimarts, 1 de febrer de 2011, Ian Monroe va escriure:

> > > Should we give up so easily on this? The whole point of modularization
> > > is to remove cross-module dependencies, just like KHTML depending on
> > > KTextEditor. Ideally this sort of "sideways" dependency wouldn't
> > > exist.
> >
> > What is your ideal then? Writing KTextEditor in KHTML again since we can
> > not depend on it? Or using a worse component?
>
> No, the natural fix is to make the dependency chain proper, i.e. KTE
> depends on kdelibs, khtml depends on KTE+kdelibs. That means khtml
> cannot be part of kdelibs anymore if KTE is not part of kdelibs anymore.

I agree.
Which would mean that khtml would depend on kate. Also the webkit part if it
uses the kate component. Which makes the build order harder to get right, as
Michael notes in the other thread.
Do we want that ?
Probably.
Can we have that for KDE 4.x.y ? I don't think so.

I can remember that a point of criticism about gnome was that it is hard to
get it built correctly with all the relatively small independent libs.
I think we are moving in that direction...
Are we aware of this and is this ok with us ?

Alex