Installing specific packages on demand (was: Re: proposal: remove KTextEditor interface from kdelibs repository)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 18:55:33 GMT 2011

Mardi, le 1 février 2011, à 19:39, Sune Vuorela a écrit:
> On 2011-02-01, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> >> And I'm not sure there should be
> >> such a thing.
> >
> > Hm. You don't agree that a user experience like
> >
> > 	"Sorry, missing X to do Y. Would you like to get X now for that?"
> >
> > is better than one à la
> >
> > 	"Na, no way to do Y."?
>
> Yes. since we can't assume the user has the right to install to the
> system directory,

We can't assume for all, but in many installations the user does. Like the
ususal private computer.
For administrated systems, there could be a substitute which instead of
allowing to install rather aids the user to file a request to the admin, for
convenience and getting things done.

> and we shouldn't set up a complete development
> environment for him.

I was thinking of interfacing to the normal packaging system of the system.
He, something like DrKonqi installing the debug info packages on request. So
something like that is existing already, just needs to be generalized perhaps.

Cheers
Friedrich
--
Desktop Summit 2011 - Berlin, Germany - August 6-12th - www.desktopsummit.org