Policy on git feature branches

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Feb 1 10:11:14 GMT 2011

On 01.02.11 10:21:01, Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have been working on an improvement for Nepomuk via git-svn for a
> while now and would now like to push it to kde-runtime.

If the branch has been created via git-svn you cannot merge it properly.
You need to cherry-pick all commits.

> However, I would prefer to keep the commit history and backport to 4.6.
> Thus, I thought of pushing my feature branch into the kde-runtime

That won't work, as git-svn created different commits for all the history
your branch is based on. So git cannot merge your branch into kde-runtimes
history. The only options are to either cherry-pick all commits or rebase
your feature branch onto kde-runtime as it is now. Then you can merge it.

Merging itself should be local, the history of the branch will be preserved
anyway (specify --no-ff in case git merge decides to try a fast-forward)
even if you don't push the feature branch into the remote repository.

Andreas

--
You are so boring that when I see you my feet go to sleep.