Suggestions for some KDE default options

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Dec 13 05:35:15 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 13 December 2011 05.59.14 Anders Lund wrote:
> On the other hand, being rude and patronizing towards a frustrated user
> trying to fix things does not help anyone either. Even if the suggestions
> are not well thought out, they are not posted here in a desire to be
> harmful, rather in a desire to use KDE software.

I want to comment on this meme that I've seen floating around for quite some
time. The idea that since the user probably has clean motives, we should
overlook bad behavior.

This is an idea that is very dangerous and should be killed.

KDE is a meritocrazy; we allow people in our midst based on what they can
accomplish and how good they contribute to our projects. We judge people on
their accomplishments, in other words.

The suggestion to overlook bad behavior is therefore completely the opposite
to our ideas of what makes KDE tick. A person that is insulting to other
peoples accomplishments, and has no accomplishments to show of their own, is
someone that thus breaks down our community.
Or more directly; Ingo ok-ed a message into our core list that killed the
motivation of quite a lot of people that I call friends and colleagues.  I
don't like that, I wish they be treated better.

Just because a person tries, maybe even shows a desire to be helpful, doesn't
mean (s)he gets to put down others.  We are not a charity where being needy is
the way in. We are not a church where forgiveness is the way in.
We are a meritocrazy where personal accomplishments are the highest
achievements.

Have a nice day :)
--
Thomas Zander