4.7 mergable into frameworks. No need to cherry-pick

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:47:32 BST 2011

Chusslove Illich wrote:

>> [: Stephen Kelly :]
>> We don't have to make one commit on 4.7 == one merge into frameworks.
>>
>> We can just delay the merge and do it once a day or week. No one is using
>> frameworks, so we just need to make sure the commits get in eventually or
>> before it becomes hard to merge.
>
> Who exactly is "we"? If I make a trivial change in 4.7, can I forget about
> it and expect someone to merge it in bulk with other changes?

Yes. The next time anyone working on frameworks merges, your change will be
included in the merge.

However, this will not work forever. As things move around and change in
frameworks, the 4.7 patch will not necessarily apply to frameworks. That
problem comes up independent of merging vs cherry-pick though, and we're not
at that point yet.

Also, if you make a change which is likely not to apply cleanly to
frameworks, it's probably best for you to merge it sooner rather than wait
for someone else to do it wrongly.

I also find it interesting that because most KDE people are working on 4.7
rather than frameworks now, we finally have a forward-porting workflow and
mindset for the first time in a long time :).

All the best,

Steve.