kdeutils has migrated to git

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 21:33:41 BST 2011

On Sunday 21 August 2011, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 20, 2011 16:48:09 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> >> For now, I have created a scratch git repository with the files which
> >> used to be in the top-level kdeutils directory in SVN, so you can just
> >> use the CMakeLists.txt there to build everything (there are no
> >> inter-repository dependencies, that is, thereis no libkdeutils).
> >
> > imho better would be to use:
> >
> > https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/superbuild/repository
> >
> > it has a kdeutils section already even ... still needs some improvements
> > as it uses anongit.kde.org instead of (at least optionally) the kde:
> > prefix, but this is a good step in the right direction.
>
> As I said in another thread: Superbuild is unrelated and orthogonal to the
> ability of the kdeutils buildsystem to allow building both as standalone
> apps and as a single module.

No, it's not.
It is possible to set up the cmake files so that they support both, separate
and all-in-one builds, but it's not trivial.
Even if done right, it makes the cmake code harder to understand.

So I recommend to make sure the separate repositories build cleanly separate,
and use something like kdesrc-build, buildtool or superbuild
(https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/superbuild) to build them together.
One downside of this is that it will take somewhat longer, since the separate
cmake runs will at least partly check for the same stuff in all the separate
builds, but I thinbk this is the price we have to pay for having separate
repositories.

Alex