git workflow draft

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 18:33:49 BST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> [...]
> git workflow for kdelibs and kde-runtime. the hope is that this can become
> template for the rest of the SC modules (kde-workspace will follow the
> kdelibs
> workflow, for instance), as well as as many other KDE projects as possible.
> this is to help ensure a general continuity to how we work across KDE.
>
> Topic Branches
> =============
>
> All new development should happen in a branch. Git makes branches very
> cheap
> and they can be local or remote. There are few if any really good reasons
> not
> to use branches, so development directly in master should be generally
> discouraged.
>
> Topic / feature branches should be public and pushed to the main repository
> where they are easy for others to find and collaborate on. They should
> start
> as a branch off of master. We do not want git to become, even
> unintentionally,
> a road to segregated, private development at the expense of our
> collaboration
> as a community. With public branches in a shared repository, even a git
> pull
> will inform of new development that is happening. Git then becomes an
> important piece of our development communication with each other: a new
> branch
> means new activity.
>
> Only features / topics that are intended from the state to be merged with
> master should end up in the main repository, however. More experimental
> and/or
> long term efforts (an example presented was the kconfig refactor leading up
> 4.0) should start in a personal clone, and when/if the work crosses the
> border
> into "this is realistically going to be merged with master" it can be moved
> into a branch in the main repository.
>
> After merge with master, topic branches should be deleted from the main
> repository.
>
> Branch Naming: if a branch is specific to a subproject, e.g. solid, specify
> it
> in the branch name such as "solid/udevbackend". This will make it easier to
> use git branch listings (along with grep, etc) to pick out branches of
> interest based on the project in question. If there is not a sepcific
> subproject that it belongs to, give it a good descriptive name such as
> "pluggable-kconfig".
>
> No branches should be prefixed with "KDE"; we consider that a reserved
> name.
> Nor topic should branches be numeric in nature (such as a version number)
> as
> those are reserved for actual release branches. (Sys admin at the meeting
> indicated that it is likely they will eventually put a push hook in place
> that
> prevents such "incorrectly" named branches.)

Was this decided upon at some point?  I got conflicting stories from
sysadmin and other developers.  Yesterday after migrating kdeaccessibility
to git I was asked by a sysadmin to rename the X.Y branches to KDE/X.Y  I
think concensus and consistency are important here.  Was there a decision
that the official branches should be named X.Y?  Is that documented
somewhere (I spent some time looking, but didn't find it).  If not we should
reach concensus and also fix the repositories that are not following this
standard sooner than later imo.  This will help greatly in the long run.

Thoughts, opinions, etc.
Jeremy