kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Ambroz Bizjak ambrop7 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:55:55 BST 2011

>> > if we start from an all-privileged daemon like systemd. It's privilege
>> > elevation that suffers.
>>
>> does the session systemd run privileged in the first place?
>
> I have no clue. I don't even know if there's a session systemd.

I'm not sure exactly how you people are planning to make use of
systemd; but hopefully:

- It won't require the operating system to be running systemd as an
init system. Any OS/user should be free to use a different/custom init
system and still be able to use KDE.
- It won't require root privileges to start KDE (including setuid
programs). I don't see how dropping privileges from a user account
wouldn't work (except perhaps the "not implemented" part, in which
case the right way is to implement it).

I suggest you think well whether systemd is indeed the right solution.
As far as I see it, it was designed to be used for system services
only, and not as a generic framework for controlling services and
dependencies (hopefully I'm wrong).

I've written some software which might also be used in this place.
Please, read it through: http://code.google.com/p/badvpn/wiki/NCD .
Yes, it doesn't have everything that would be needed to plug it into
KDE right now, but it might be worth looking into because of its
simplicity, compared to systemd.

Regards,
Ambroz