systemd and KDE (was: Re: kdeinit)

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 21 16:59:33 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM, John Layt <jlayt at kde.org> wrote:
> Ummm, Pulse Audio?  It completely broke sound under KDE.  It caused a lot of
> users a lot of pain before Colin come along to fix it for us and for Gnome
> users too.  I don't want to see a repeat of that, so figuring out how to get
> Lennart to care becomes important.

During Desktop Summit, I've jumped on the systemd-KDE-integration
bandwagon (which seems to be only me at the moment, or is there any
work which I'm not aware of?).

As a very first step, there's libqsystemd [1], which I'll try to
finish and polish in the next few weeks. This should make it easy to
write apps that communicate with systemd. For example, what about a
proper Plasma dataengine for systemd units/jobs and an applet that
e.g. shows the state of a systemd unit? There's an proof-of-concept
dataengine in the repo [1], but the subject is in need of someone who
knows his way around Plasma dataengines and friends.

The second integration point is the unified interfaces for system
configuration that systemd provides. If systemd is present, it should
be used to set (possibly also get) the hostname, locale, and system
time. Also, KDM should be able to communicate with systemd-logind,
which (as outlined by Lennart's talk at DS) seeks to replace
ConsoleKit.

The third integration point is to use systemd as a session manager,
thereby (as already mentioned) possibly replacing big parts of our own
startup sequence. Once I can get a current version of systemd to
compile on my machine, I will try to look into this, but of course
help is appreciated on all fronts.

Greetings
Stefan

[1] git clone kde:libqsystemd