Git migration status (Was: Re: Where is kmix hidden?)

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 21 15:02:21 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 9:27 PM, John Layt <jlayt at kde.org> wrote:
> The kde-wallpapers and kdeartwork modules are likely to remain in svn until
> git handles binary blobs better.  Then there is also a lot of stuff still in
> extragear and playground.

This is an issue with kdegames as well: A complete source tree is 112
megabytes, of which about AFAIR 80% is data (SVGZ, audio files,
levelsets, etc.). Some months ago, I've proposed on kde-games-devel@
to split a kdegames-data module from kdegames. The discussion ended
because we decided not to switch to git before a workflow exists to
handle split repositories. (With SuperBuild being available now, this
discussion probably needs to be restarted.)

What I proposed:
1. Freeze trunk/KDE/kdegames, conserve this state as kdegames-history.git
2. Move all data files from trunk/KDE/kdegames to trunk/KDE/kdegames-data.
3. Move the source code to git.kde.org (as fresh repos, to avoid data
blobs in the object db).
4. Optionally patch the games to run without data. This is because the
build order of the modules would be: kdegames, then kdegames-data.

Greetings
Stefan