Git migration status (Was: Re: Where is kmix hidden?)

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Fri Aug 19 20:27:03 BST 2011

On Friday 19 Aug 2011 19:54:21 Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Lukas Appelhans <l.appelhans at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I guess there were no efforts yet from the kdemultimedia team to make the
> > move.
>
> I did not realize we had to take care of the move.... seems a bit
> inconvenient.

Yep, you need to mak e it happen as it involves decision no-one else can make
for you.  There's basically three steps needed.  First, you have to decide on
separate Git repos per app or stick with the monolithic module.  Second, if
going for separete repos make sure everything actually builds properly that
way.  Third you need to write the conversion rules for you history, but
there's a few people around who may be willing to help out with that once you
know what you want.  Have a chat on the #kde-git channel for more details.

On the subject of un-converted svn modules, the following are still left:

  kdeaccessibility
  kdeadmin
  kdegames
  kdemultimedia
  kdenetwork
  kdesdk
  kdetoys
  kdeutils
  kdewebdev

The kde-wallpapers and kdeartwork modules are likely to remain in svn until
git handles binary blobs better.  Then there is also a lot of stuff still in
extragear and playground.

Does anyone know the status of these modules?  Do we need to start poking the
maintainers?  Now is a good time to do conversions as it's a few months before
our next beta release and we'd want any moves settled in by then.

Cheers!

John.