kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue Aug 16 11:16:44 BST 2011

> There was an article by Jakub explaining this. I can not seem to find it right now.

Found! :) The first one: http://lwn.net/Articles/190495/
Why PIE should not be prelinked and in general about the main purpose of PIE.

> btw, why cannot non-pic libs be prelinked? works for non-pie executables, after all.

Well, by definition, non-pic libraries cannot be prelinked since the
symbols are at fixed addresses. You can not change the symbols using
prelink. It is mentioned in the prelink manual [1], and prelink goes
out of its way to find non-pic libraries and ignore them. You can just
read the preface where it says why the libraries should be PIC, and
how only PIC libraries can actually be prelinked.

Oh, and one point. I am not familiar with systemd, but AFAIK too
bloated as it is. It has a lot of code in it that should not be in the
startup program, for instance: it has code to plymouth in it. That is
a bit funny, but it might be just that I am lacking something... :)

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp

[1] http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.redhat.com%2Fjakub%2Fprelink.pdf