GeoClue dependencies

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 23:38:59 BST 2011

On Wednesday, 27 de April de 2011 23:16:32 John Layt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's been a short discussion on the GeoClue mailing list related to
> resolving the issues we have around their dependencies on gconf and
> gsettings
>
> and the latest response has been:
> > The GConf dependency is already gone. And I wouldn't take a patch to
> > remove the GSettings dependency. There's Qt bindings to access
> > GSettings, and GSettings lives in GIO, which is also where the dbus-glib
> > replacement (GDBus) lives. I don't think that trying to replace a
> > library that's already in the dependencies due to the way packages are
> > built is buying us anything but too moving parts.
>
> Now, I don't really know about GSettings, but I'm guessing this isn't an
> acceptable things for us?

If GeoClue uses GDBus and GSettings is already available, there's no point in
asking them not to on the grounds of dependency. The reason would be that KDE
wouldn't be able to affect those settings, so a simple config file is better.

Qt bindings to access GSettings are new and untested, they require a patched
Qt or Qt 4.8 (which isn't released). Maybe one day they'll be acceptable, but
right now they aren't and KDE has not decided to switch to it anyway.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358