Empty merges per release

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 11:46:40 BST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:40:08AM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I know we decided to use cherry-picks to bring commits from past versions to
> master, but this has caused that the 4.5 and 4.6 commits are never in the past
> history of master.

which is the state we had with svn. it was considered good enough so far.

if you want to make that git feature useful in the kde-ish cherry-pick
regime, tag the stable branch points - if you want to know when a commit
on a stable branch hit master, you need the extra step of following the
"cherry-picked from" message. this could be actually scripted rather
easily.

> I recommend at least once, after a release, that the tag is merged
> back into master, using strategy "ours" if necessary.

great idea ... all cherry-picked commits duplicated (oh well, who cares,
given all that scripty crap in the history), and still the risk of
falsifying the history by claiming that all commits were merged while
they might have not been.