Git Feature Branch Naming Policy

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:52:18 BST 2011

Hi,

Did anything come out from discussions on feature branch naming in git?  With
GSoC starting soon we'll be getting a lot of new feature branches and it would
be nice if they were consistantly named to make them easy to find and manage.

See
http://community.kde.org/20110213_GitWorkflowAgenda#How_To_Handle_Topic_Branches
for the original meeting notes.

I'd prefer to see the gsoc branches under a common prefix in the main project
repo rather than as personal branches or repos:

  origin/gsoc2011/<subproject>/<branchname>

e.g. in kdelibs.git have "origin/gsoc2011/kdecore/astronomical-calendars"

Cheers!

John.