Deploying new kdelibs classes

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 09:25:13 BST 2011

On Sat, April 23, 2011 10:22 pm, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Aurélien, I am writing regarding
> http://agateau.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/kde-ux-2011/
> One thing, about deploying the kmessagewidget (and similar things) in
> kdelibs. If it's part of kdelibs 4.7 or something, apps that support
> kdelibs < 4.7 would have to fork it (unless distro backports given
> classes to previous kdelibs but this it very bad idea and technically
> and coordination-wise). How to solve that? I am
> thinking about releasing additions to kdelibs as separate libraries
> like kdelibs47.so etc. and then merging only in 5.0.
>
> Perhaps there's already solution I am not aware of.

I'm not aware of any policy in the past to prevent new classes being added
to kdelibs. It's something that third party apps have always had to cope
with. Are you perhaps thinking of the rule in kdepim which says that it
must build against the previous version of kdepimlibs?

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.