Review Request: GUI configuration for the 'Do Not Track'?feature...

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Apr 17 10:43:07 BST 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 03:52:39PM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> First, the idea that DNT affects most sites lively hood is something
> that has already been dispelled. For most sites, there is no reason to
> track your browsing habits to provide reasonable advertising on their
> pages.

indeed. but not everybody is google. smaller sites use the services of
dedicated data miners. the latter's own advertising actually sounds a
lot like the eff's "scare pamphlets", except that they present it as
something good.

> The sites that want to ignore that header will ignore it anyhow
> regardless.

it's reasonable to assume that there is a significant number of sites
which will ignore it only if it has a non-trivial financial impact on
them.

> > do you realize that most people honestly couldn't care less? and they
> > don't deserve better. let them enjoy their "free" internet.
>
> Well that seems like the perfect argument why the OPT-OUT should be
> the default.

uhm, no. the header is meant as an explicit statement of the user.
defaulting it to opt-out takes the concept ad absurdum, because it makes
the ones who actually thought about the issue and the consequences
indistinguishable from the mass, it entirely dilutes the meaning.

> For the life of me, I cannot imagine of a single person that would
> voluntarily opt-in to be tracked online.

and you think the data miners don't know that? what's the point of
telling them with every HTTP request? just for good measure? symbolism?

if you think that this is a matter worth pursuing, engage politically,
or help others to do so.