cmake for python projects (was: KDE/kdegames)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Sep 28 20:39:29 BST 2010

On Monday 27 September 2010, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Montag 27 September 2010, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > README.packagers will do but I still prefer my method of
> > giving a build time error unless the packager has overridden
> > it.
> >
> > "Developers do not need cmake for Python development at all."
> > this isn't necessarily right, there might well be items that
> > need to be installed in the right place.
>
> I deleted that.
>
> > "Distribution packagers do NOT want cmake to error out on
> > missing runtime dependencies" as above, I'm a packager and
> > I'd rather it did, I'd certainly prefer to have warnings.
>
> I changed that to "Most distribution packagers" (namely
> Sune Vuorela/Debian and Johannes Obermayr/Suse do not want
> them, while you do. I do not know about others).

I think you can also count Dirk Mueller in.
I have put Rex Dieter from Fedora/RedHat on CC, so he can also say how he sees
the issue.

I think we need to decide for *one policy*.

While I as a developer like it if I get build/cmake time errors for runtime
dependencies (so I can fix them and know when the thing is installed, that
everything will be there and it will work), the distro packagers basically
convinced that the right thing to do is really only to depend on thing at
build/cmake time which are actually required at build/cmake time.

I.e., no runtime dependency checking.

Alex