cmake for python projects (was: KDE/kdegames)

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 27 12:49:07 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 01:07:10PM +0200, Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Montag 27 September 2010, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > As a packager I found it very annoying that I had to run
> > kajongg and look at the import errors to work out what it
> > needed.
>
> they would also have been in kajongg/make_debian_package
> but of course that is not a usual place.
>
> could you live with a README.packagers containing dependencies
> as proposed on the kde-buildsystem mailing list? Kajongg
> would not be the first project to do that.
>
> meanwhile I wrote something up as a basis for discussion:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/CMake/Python
>
> this also contains a link to the mentioned discussion
> in the kde-buildsystem mailing list

README.packagers will do but I still prefer my method of giving a
build time error unless the packager has overridden it.

"Developers do not need cmake for Python development at all." this
isn't necessarily right, there might well be items that need to be
installed in the right place.

"Distribution packagers do NOT want cmake to error out on missing
runtime dependencies" as above, I'm a packager and I'd rather it did,
I'd certainly prefer to have warnings.

"Build time dependencies. There is not much that needs to be compiled
for a Python project.  Mainly the byte-compiled *.pyc files."  In
Debian-based distros we don't byte compile at build time but rather at
install time.

Jonathan