dependencies on KJS/KHTML in kdelibs and kdebase-runtime

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Sep 25 13:40:38 BST 2010

On Saturday 25 September 2010 01:25:36 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday, September 24, 2010, John Layt wrote:
> Kross's JS support is 364 lines of code. if we subtract the factory class
> that is not KJS specific (it's Kross specific) then we have 320 lines, all
> in one file. it's extremely pedestrian code, and should actually shrink
> significantly in a move to QtScript. for someone with even moderate
> experience with QtScript (e.g. myself) it's a day's work.

Kross already has a QtScript backend, so there is no need to port its KJS
backend at all :)

This only really leaves KTranscript in kdelibs as something that would need
porting to QtScript I think, and from the Kontact Mobile POV I'd obviously
welcome that. We have stripped out KJS/KHTML dependencies to reduce disk and
memory usage for that already, the KMail message viewer is based on QtWebKit,
the Kross parts have been changed to use the QtScript backend (which in most
cases just meant renaming the files from .js to .es), and we have splitted up
the packages in such a way that we don't install things depending KJS/KHTML
by default (khelpcenter for example, which doesn't really work on mobile
screens anyway, but right now also KTranscript).

regards
Volker