RFC: An action class to ease implementation of show/hide-like actions

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Sat Sep 11 09:02:32 BST 2010

On 11/09/2010 00:02, todd rme wrote:
> 2010/9/10 Aurélien Gâteau <agateau at kde.org>:
>> One of the solutions to this is to keep the same label, regardless of
>> the visibility of the UI element. This is the easiest solution, but it
>> does not feel as intuitive in my opinion as changing the label,
>> especially in menus.
>
> This may have already been addressed, but what about just setting the
> label to "Sidebar".

That would work as well, but I have the feeling it's more intuitive to
add a verb, especially in the context of a "Settings" menu. It is
however a good solution if the context is more precise. For example in
Konqueror "Settings" menu, there is a "Toolbars Shown" item, which
contains checkable items. These items are only the name of the toolbar.
It is unambiguous here because the items are contained in a  "Toolbars
Shown" item. It would be less intuitive IMO if these toolbar names
appeared directly under "Settings".

Aurélien