why kdelibs?

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Oct 31 01:32:24 GMT 2010

On Saturday 30 October 2010 12:01:18 Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> Just for those that have short memories let me explain what happened.
>
> We killed our printing stack because we were "promised" that QPrinter would
> be maintained and better than KPrinter was. And years later, QPrinter is
> unmaintained and provides less features KPrinter delivered much more years
> ago.
>
> So please come back to the real world were Nokia doesn't have infinite
> manpower and where the only thing Nokia wants to do is sell cell phones.

Woah.   My recollection is we killed kprinter stack because while everyone
wanted us to have it, nobody was actually interested in maintaining it.  A
couple months before 4.0 it was brought up on this very list, that kprinter
did not work and nobody stepped up to do the work (or at least it didn't work
in a good KDE 4.0 way - I too didn't look into the issue).  Nobody considered
QPrinter better than what we could do - but it was much better than the
nothing we could offer as an alternative.

Phonon is a better example of what could happen.   If only we could get Nokia
to import our fixes once in a while it might even be a good example of what
the proposal is.   There are many areas where KDE offers something that non-
kde QT users would want if they could get it - but they do not want or need a
full desktop.