"Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:20:32 GMT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> after reading the whole thread that started with Chani's mail ("why
> kdelibs?"), I think the noise level has become a bit too much there.
> Cornelius had proposed this rather daring idea:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=128842761708404&w=2
>

> It's a very controversial idea. However, I think it is so refreshing
> that it deserves some more thought. Personally, I think the idea is
> great, if we can overcome some of the obvious road blocks. I would
> love to read some honest and direct thoughts from you guys.
>

> What do you think about it?
>
> --
> Mark Kretschmann
> Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at KO GmbH
> Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe
> http://amarok.kde.org - http://www.fsfe.org - http://www.kogmbh.com

Oh wow, some seriously big things are going on here. Anyway, i don't see all
KDE's parts be "merge-able" in Qt the way they are now.  Lets take for
example the status bar.. The one Dolphin and Konqueror use is quite a bit
different from QStatusBar thus either QStatusBar has to be changed
or Dolphin and Konqueror have to change.

But i wonder if "merging" is the way to go.. since Qt itself wants to be
more modular : http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/26/qt-is-going-modular/ it
might be a good idea to consider splitting kdelibs into Qt modules to get
closer with Qt.. some example modules would then be:
Kio - KDE IO handling
KUi - KDE UI widgets

It might be needed that KUi parts that are fairly close to their Qt
counterparts get merged in QtGui and others that are just to different stay
in a separate module (KUi).

And if it are all Qt modules then the move from module to Qt core
(where appropriate) seems relatively easy.
Besides i think the step from the current kdelibs to Qt modules is a lot
easier then going for a merge.

Just my thoughts.. I certainly keep an eye on this thread ^_^