"Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sun Oct 31 12:11:28 GMT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Matt Williams <lists at milliams.com> wrote:
> On 31 October 2010 11:53, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 31 October 2010 11:33, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> after reading the whole thread that started with Chani's mail ("why
>>> kdelibs?"), I think the noise level has become a bit too much there.
>>> Cornelius had proposed this rather daring idea:
>>>
>>> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=128842761708404&w=2
>>

>> Sounds great.  This should probably be done by picking a specific
>> technology in KDE, and adapting it and merging it to work in Qt.
>>
>> A wonderful place to start would be kioslaves imho.  This is something
>> which has a real advantage, is relatively self-contained, and would
>> provide a big advantage.  Possibly it needs to be merged more with the
>> Qt API though.
>
> So, if we decided that we wanted to merge KIO slaves into Qt, what
> would the steps we go through be? If we're going to be doing this with
> a number of classes we need to have a process which ensures that the
> code is Qute enough, KDE still compiles against it (with minimal/no
> code changes) etc.
>
> Obviously things like this will be BIC? Even with wrapper classes in
> KDE? So I guess we can't just jump and do this for KDE 4.6 -- it's
> going to force us into taking some very big steps like jumping to KDE5
> or at least boosting the soversion of the libs.

Yes. If we would indeed go ahead with this plan, this would (as
Cornelius noted too) be a very big change. It's not something you
could do over night.

We're looking here at a time span of one year or more, is my guess. So
that would probably mean Qt 5 / KDE 5.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at KO GmbH