why kdelibs?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Oct 30 18:01:18 BST 2010

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Cornelius Schumacher <
> schumacher at kde.org > wrote:
>
> On Thursday 28 October 2010 John Layt wrote:
> > Big questions. Anyone with big answers? :-)
>
> Here is a big answer:
>
 > Let's merge Qt and the KDE development platform. Let's put all KDE
> libraries,
> support libraries, platform modules into Qt, remove the redundancies
> in Qt,
> and polish it into one nice consistent set of APIs, providing both,
> the
> wonderful KDE integration, consistency and convenience, as well as the
> simplicity and portability of the Qt platform.
>
> I know what you think ("madness", "no", "KDE 5", "impossible",
> "governance",
> "binary compatibility", "Nokia", "impossible", ...), but if you put
 > that aside
> for a while and think big, wouldn't that be a wonderful answer to all
> the struggles we have with kdelibs?

I know we keep coming to the same place, but no, it would not be a wonderful
answer, it would be a disaster like it was for KPrinter.

Just for those that have short memories let me explain what happened.

We killed our printing stack because we were "promised" that QPrinter would be
maintained and better than KPrinter was. And years later, QPrinter is
unmaintained and provides less features KPrinter delivered much more years
ago.

So please come back to the real world were Nokia doesn't have infinite
manpower and where the only thing Nokia wants to do is sell cell phones.

Albert