why kdelibs?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Oct 29 17:11:35 BST 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010 18:01:30 Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> [: Stephen Kelly :]
> >> KLocale: More powerful i18n than QObject::tr and friends. Based on
> >> gettext.
> >
> > [: Kevin Ottens :]
> > Why not push its features in Qt itself?
>
> Gettext itself (format, runtime, tools) is a feature. So "pushing features"
> would, for one, mean replacing Qt's current translation systems with a
> Gettext-based one. Which is obviously not going to happen (since it didn't
> happen in the first place).
>
> The most important feature specific to KDE on top of Gettext is Transcript
> ( http://techbase.kde.org/Localization/Concepts/Transcript). Gettext is
> not a prerequisite here, so it could be added to Qt system as it is. But
> this won't happen either, as it is too complicated for target clients
> (based on private communication with Oswald).

Fair enough (although it ignores date formatting and so on I think... I'm far
from being a localization savvy person). ;-)

Note that my point was more about doing this kind of work and communication in
a more systematic manner though (I'm actually glad that you apparently did it
for the translation handling). I seriously doubt we do it everywhere we could.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net