why kdelibs?

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Thu Oct 28 20:08:53 BST 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Matt Williams <lists at milliams.com> wrote:

> Especially with the recent news of Qt breaking apart into smaller
> projects (http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/26/qt-is-going-modular/) I
> think there's a place for a few smaller KDE libraries to fit into the
> picture shown in that blog post (somewhere near "Other Qt solutions").
> While, of course, keeping rocking with our wonderfully integrated
> desktop environment.

Agreed.

In addition to that, I wonder if all the stuff in kdelibs should
really be in kdelibs.

There are a *ton* of classes in kdelibs. Although I have not performed
any checking, I'd say a good number of them are only used by 2 or 3
applications (which is OK by the current policy: you have 2 users for
your class, it's in for kdelibs). Maybe a class should have at least
10 or 15 users to get in kdelibs, and specialized classes, with a
narrow scope, should be in other libraries. I'd dare to say there are
classes in kdelibs which do not have a single user these days but
noone removed them!

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org