why kdelibs?

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Oct 28 13:36:46 BST 2010

Thomas Lübking, 28.10.2010:
> Am Thursday 28 October 2010 schrieb Chani:
> > well yes, but *why* is that awesome? :)
>
> +1 for KIO
> (btw: would there be interest in removing the GUI deps from libkio?
> might be nice to have kioclient on GUIless server terminals... and alias
> its commands to cp/rm/mv =)
>
> + Solid (for recent incidents... ;-)
>
> KIO provides easy transparent, abstract, async, reliable & _fast_ support
> for quite some protocols.
> Qt has to offer nothing like this. (the QNetwork module is nice, but not
> comparable at all - sorry trolls)
>
> The rest in kdelibs is (imvho) however too k-DE specific or became more and
> more redundant with latter Qt versions ... (Qt incorporated a lot of stuff
> ;-) ie.: "nice to have, but no killer"

Since I work on a Qt-only project the first time nowadays, I can add a bunch
of things that I miss:

KConfig (QSettings is horrible)
KShell helpers
K* ui widgets, most notably KUrlRequester
KJobs + ThreadWeaver

And I can imagine how I'd be hitting a wall in other projects without:

KParts esp. KTextEditor
KXmlGui (even though I hit my head against it every now and then)

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de