RFC: Creation of a new KDE SC module [kdeplugins]

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Oct 12 00:00:02 BST 2010

On 2010-10-11, Martin Gräßlin <kde at martin-graesslin.com> wrote:
>> No. you also cannot guarantee that they are in sync with kwin if they
>> are not build from the same tarball as kwin.
> I thought there was versioning possible with CMake? So we can ensure that e=
>=2Eg.=20
> the effects with 4.6.2 are only built against kwin from 4.6.2. We can even =
> add=20
> a packager file, to explain how the requirements should be set. Of course i=
> f=20
> someone wants to screw up he will always be possible to do so.

Joe User goes to kde.org and downloads and builds kdelibs, kdepimlibs,
kdebase-runtime, kdebase-workspace and the nonexistant kdeplugins  all
version 4.6.0. Now he does nothing for 6 months, and downloads and
builds kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase-runtime and kdebase-workspace, but
*not* kdeplugins.

Jane Packager downloads and packages 4.6.1 for her distro, for 4.6.2 she
notices that the only diff between 4.6.1 and 4.6.2 in the kdeplugins
module is the change of version number and chooses to spend her time on
more important issues.

I don't consider these cases 'screwing up', but very likely situations.

/Sune