RFC: Creation of a new KDE SC module [kdeplugins]

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 01:41:41 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Dawit A <adawit at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David and I have been discussing about resurrecting the now defunct
> "kdeaddons" module as "kdeplugins" for a very specific purpose. We
> want to house plugins of applications that are part of one of the
> standard KDE SC modules in it. Only plugins for applications/libraries
> in these main modules would be allowed into this new module. The
> reason and the need for this are discussed in the links provided
> below:
>
> http://lists.kde.org/?t=128563317500003&r=1&w=2 and
> https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/kde-core-devel/12b5808411a10e71
>
> I am sure there are other applications/frameworks/libraries that face
> the same issues and would benefit from this... A possible structure
> for the new module could be:
>
> kdeplugins
>  |----- kdebase
>       |----- konqueror
>             |---- searchbar
>             |---- ....
>
>  |---- <module-name>
>        |----- <app-name>
>               |---- <plugin>
>
> OR
>
> kdeplugins
>  |----- konqueror
>         |---- searchbar
>         |---- ....
>
>  |----- <app-name>
>         |---- <plugin>
>

> Any suggestions, comments, objections are all welcome...
>
> Regards,
> Dawit A.

I think there is something wrong with your second link.  It isn't
working for me, at least.

There was also discussion of putting optional kwin plugins somewhere.
If that isn't what your second link is about, then it may be something
else that can go there.  There is also a possibility of putting
optional plasma applets there, perhaps.

-Todd