"-DQT_NO_CAST_FROM_ASCII -DQT_NO_CAST_TO_ASCII" as policy in kde

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Oct 5 22:43:18 BST 2010

On Tuesday 05 October 2010, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dimarts, 5 d'octubre de 2010, laurent Montel va escriure:
> > Hi,
> > As you saw I started to make kde compile with it.
> > - kdetoys/kdeaccessibility/kdereview/kdeadmin compiles fine with it
> > - I started to fix kdegames/kdeutils (90% done)/kdemultimedia.
> >
> > It allows to make code sometime faster, but it allows to find
> > untranslated string (I fixed 5-10 untranslated string until now, even if
> > with my own script I never saw theses untranslated strings.)
> >
> > For me it will good to have it by default (not now :) but I can continue
> > to fix compile)
> >
> > I created a perl script (not 100% perfect) which helps to convert it.
> >
> > (Ok it doesn't fix all compile error.)
> >
> > What do you think about it ?
>
> Personally i think it makes the code veeeeeeeeery ugly and should no be
> forced into non-critical-fast code if the maintainer of that code does not
> want it.

But the main reason is not performance, it's correctness
(detecting missing i18n calls, and detecting wrong operations which mess up
encoding).

I'm very much in favor of this, especially after using it in some places fixed
some encoding bugs.

For the ugliness issue, maybe we could define QL1S in kglobal.h?