Keeping binary compatibility

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Oct 4 17:00:47 BST 2010

On Monday 04 of October 2010, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Friday, October 01, 2010 03:32:41 pm Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  as you probably know, the theory is that KDE libraries keep backwards
> > binary compatibility. As you might or might not know, that is the theory.
> >
> >  I've found a tool called abi-compliance-checker
> > (http://ispras.linux-foundation.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker) and
> > it has a page with checks for various libraries including ours
> > (http://linuxtesting.org/upstream-tracker/versions/kde-libs.html), which
> > is not as green as it should be.
>
> That looks both comprehensive and nicely detailed. Sounds like an excellent
> match for Krazy; maybe not so much as a part of krazy (since that checks
> source, not binaries) but as part of the EBN suite presenting information
> on the state of KDE's codebase.

 I doubt this can be fully automatic, as what generally matters is only
differences between releases and you want to compare also things like 4.4.4
vs 4.5.0. And, guess what, the framework for this already exists in the
openSUSE build service, since that's where I did the checks (and where do you
think Dirk tests release tarballs :) ? ).

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz