Keeping binary compatibility

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Oct 4 16:55:30 BST 2010

On Monday 04 of October 2010, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>
wrote:
> > What about source compatibility ?
> >
> > At least for kdelibs we try to guarantee source compatiblity of the cmake
> > files.
>
> I think source compatibility is easier to maintain because it is more
> obvious when you break it and people generally understand it better
> than binary compatibility. I don't think we have a problem keeping
> source compatibility atm, do we?

 We occassionally do (I e.g. remember fixing a bug somewhen in the past that
had been introduced by broken source compatibility and people thinking 0 is a
null pointer).

 But I agree that generally this is a much smaller problem because usually the
problem simply shows up, shows up in a less confusing way, shows to more
knowing people, and, last but not least, I doubt there's a sane way to having
any good checks for that anyway.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz