Keeping binary compatibility

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 19:51:05 BST 2010

On Friday 01 October 2010 14:32:41 Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  as you probably know, the theory is that KDE libraries keep backwards
> binary compatibility. As you might or might not know, that is the theory.
>
>  I've found a tool called abi-compliance-checker
> (http://ispras.linux-foundation.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker) and
> it has a page with checks for various libraries including ours
> (http://linuxtesting.org/upstream-tracker/versions/kde-libs.html), which is
> not as green as it should be.
>
>  I've also compared openSUSE packages for 4.4.4 and 4.5.1 and there are
> problems too (http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/abi/ for what I checked). Let me
> point out just one, http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/2608/ , which I think
> shows that this occassionally happening is inevitable.

Crikey, one of those High status problems is me.  Revision 1125520 to
kcalendarsystem.h to improve the api dox managed to reverse the order of two
virtual readDate() methods, thus breaking the virtual table.  What's the
preferred solution here, do I switch them back (and break bc again) or leave
as is?

Could we have this included on the ebn so we can check trunk regularly?

John.

P.S. And I do recommend anyone working on kdelibs / kdepimlibs re-read
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C++ on a
regular basis, I know I do and I still make a mistake like this...