Fwd: Using multiple klocales uses stale translations

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Thu Nov 11 11:20:59 GMT 2010

Op den Dunnersdag 11 November 2010 Klock 10:09:24 hett John Layt schreven:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2010 14:46:55 Hans Meine wrote:
> > Op den Dingsdag 09 November 2010 Klock 22:32:52 hett John Layt schreven:
> > > But I can't see any reason why it shouldn't lowercase any given value,
> > > I'll fix that and update the apidox to state it should be lowercase.
> >
> > Why not give the full truth and document that uppercase values are
> > accepted and will be future-proof, although they're currently lowercased
> > (which might shine through in other parts of the API, so that it still
> > needs to be mentioned)?
>
> It is documented elsewhere in the api that the country code is returned as
> lowercase, and we have lots of code about that expects it to be lowercase,
> I just play nice and lowercase everything passed in.  We need to be
> consistent with what is returned, telling people to pass in uppercase but
> to accept lowercase in return is not good practice.

I agree, but I still think that it would be better to document the outcome of
this thread right there in the API docs.  At least, I think it's worth knowing
for every client of this API that it will change with KDE 5, and that there is
no good reason for the country codes' case to deviate from standard practice.

So, I would not actually tell people to pass in uppercased codes, but let them
decide themselves, and just be informed about it.

Just my 2 cents,
  Hans