Fwd: User bus conclusion

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 08:10:48 GMT 2010

On Wednesday, 10 de November de 2010 06:24:46 Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2010, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > So I have to ask again: do we allow or support multiple logins of the
> > same  user, on the same machine (same $HOME)?
>
> Uh, I hope they won't do it. I use *a lot* multiple logins on the same
> computer, when working remotely, eg. via NX.
> This will be a bad limitation like Windows XP had, that when you logged
> in remotely, the local login was logged out. :(

I understand that this is currently possible.

My question is whether we *want* this and we actively support it. Or is it
just a side effect that appears to work?

For example: KConfig has lock files so saving one file won't step on another
instance's toes. However, does it really work? If the contents of the config
file are read into memory and saved from memory, what happens to changes made
to the file in-between?

Same thing about kwallet: when saving a new password, does it really read in
all of the old contents? Or does it try to save from memory, from when the
wallet was opened?

More importantly: if this is a use-case that we support, is there anyone
thinking of cases like the above and fixing them?

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358