Important KDE 4.6 Freezes This Week

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Sun Nov 7 20:29:34 GMT 2010

Hi all,

Please note that the following freezes will become active this week:

Thursday, November 11, 2010: Soft Message Freeze
All translated messages (GUI strings) are frozen on this date. Only previously untranslated strings or clear errors in strings can be fixed. No major new strings changes should be done. It is ok to remove strings. Exception: Artwork (try to keep the number of new strings low anyways). Exception: Typo fixes can be fixed until the Hard Message Freeze, but you have to mail kde-i18n-doc saying you made a typo fix change.

Thursday, November 11, 2010: Soft API Freeze
To allow the bindings people to have proper time to do their work in preparation to the final release, the API should now be mostly fixed. Changing API is allowed, but commits have to be cc'ed to the kde-bindings mailinglist. This is including older APIs and newly introduced libraries/APIs.

Thursday, November 11, 2010: Dependency Freeze
>From this moment on it is not allowed to add new dependencies or bump dependencies versions. It is possible to get an exception for this. Post the patch to reviewboard and add the release-team as reviewer. We will check if the dependency is needed and is available on all platforms.

In other words: If you have a feature that requires a new dependency or a version of a dependency that is higher than currently checked for in the build system, you need to have committed this change before this date.

Thursday, November 11, 2010: Hard Feature Freeze
Trunk is frozen for all feature commits, even those listed in the planned feature document. Only bug fixes are allowed.

After that, on Thursday, November 18, 2010: Beta 1 Tagging is planned. I will not warn for every item on the schedule (http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.6_Release_Schedule), but I figured this one was important enough.

Best,
--
Tom Albers
KDE Release Team