Changing my mind: reverting my menubar, toolbars and statusbar changes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 7 19:12:46 GMT 2010

On Sunday 07 November 2010, David Jarvie wrote:
> On Sunday 07 November 2010 09:31:44 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > >
> > > Having followed the discussion and how you fought to get this
> > > change in, I'm a bit saddened that it turned out to not work so
> > > well in practice.
> > >
> > > Maybe we can tackle the underlying issue in another way. If I
> > > understood the problem correctly, it basically boils down to
> > >
> > > [X] Show Foo
> > >
> > > textually implying the opposite of the action that the user is
> > > going to trigger if (s)he clicks it. If we keep the checkboxes,
> > > maybe we are able to change the text, so that it is obvious that
> > > it describes the current state rather than an action by changing
> > > the verb into an adjective:
> > >
> > > [X] Foo shown
> > > [X] Foo visible
> > > [X] Foo enabled
> > >
> > > Just an idea...
> >
> > IMHO that does not really fix the problem. I think the real problem
> > is that we think that an additional qualifier like "Show" or
> > "shown" is necessary. As if our users would not understand what
> > the state of the checkbox preceding the menu entry signifies.
> >
> > I just had a look at Firefox (maybe others can check applications
> > from other "vendors" like Apple, Microsoft, etc.)
> >
> > Firefox has the options to show/hide certain UI components in the
> > View menu (while we have them in the Settings menu). In this menu
> > Firefox simply lists the UI components names without any verbs,
> > adjectives, etc., i.e.
> >
> > View
> >
> >      Toolbars
> >
> >       [x] Navigation Toolbar
> >       [x] Bookmarks Toolbar
> >
> >  [x] Status Bar
> >
> >      Sidebar
> >
> >       [ ] Bookmarks
> >       [ ] History
> >
> > Does it really matter that Firefox has those options in the View
> > menu while we have them in the Settings menu? I don't think so.
> >
> > So, why don't we simply get rid of "Show" (and the "Shown" in
> > Settings-
> >
> > >Toolbars Shown). IMHO those qualifiers are totally superfluous in
> >
> > combination with checkboxes. Our convention to add the "Show" does
> > stem from a time where we could (and did) hide the checkboxes of
> > checkable menu entries. Apparently, with Qt 4 the checkboxes of
> > checkable menu entries cannot be hidden. Since we are already at
> > Qt 4.7 it seems very unlikely that QtDF will ever change this. So
> > why insist on a convention that does not make any sense anymore?
>
> I agree about removing "Show" etc. But if this is done, the menu
> items should be moved to the View menu. In the Firefox example you
> give, the menu name (View) puts the meaning of the menu items in
> context and acts as the verb, giving the necessary hint to the user
> that the checkboxes determine the view state of the respective
> items. Removing the verb and leaving them in the Settings menu would
> IMO make their meaning a bit unclear.

Do you really think this would be a bit unclear? What else would an
unchecked UI element in any menu mean?

Quite frankly, I cannot image the number of users which grasp "[ ] Show
Toolbar" but not "[ ] Toolbar" to be significant. Surely, there are a
lot of not that computer literate people (like my parents) who
understand neither one nor the other. But people who understand the
former, but not the latter? I claim that such people do not exist. Prove
me wrong! ;-)

Regards,
Ingo