Changing my mind: reverting my menubar, toolbars and statusbar changes

Ingomar Wesp ingomar at wesp.name
Sat Nov 6 21:26:55 GMT 2010

Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> I have been quite busy trying to convince everyone actions to toggle UI
> items such as menubar, toolbars, sidebars or statusbar should be labeled
> "Show/hide Foo" depending on the visibility of Foo rather than
> implemented as a checkable "[ ] Show Foo" item.

Having followed the discussion and how you fought to get this change in, I'm a
bit saddened that it turned out to not work so well in practice.

Maybe we can tackle the underlying issue in another way. If I understood the
problem correctly, it basically boils down to

[X] Show Foo

textually implying the opposite of the action that the user is going to
trigger if (s)he clicks it. If we keep the checkboxes, maybe we are able to
change the text, so that it is obvious that it describes the current state
rather than an action by changing the verb into an adjective:

[X] Foo shown
[X] Foo visible
[X] Foo enabled

Just an idea...