Changing my mind: reverting my menubar, toolbars and statusbar changes

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Sat Nov 6 15:47:26 GMT 2010

Hi Aurélien,

On Saturday 06 November 2010 15:31:45 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> I have been quite busy trying to convince everyone actions to toggle UI
> items such as menubar, toolbars, sidebars or statusbar should be labeled
> "Show/hide Foo" depending on the visibility of Foo rather than
> implemented as a checkable "[ ] Show Foo" item.
> [...]
> The gain is actually not that obvious: I find myself having a harder
> time to read some menus after the port.

Might be transitional, but I was seeing the same. The check box is also faster
to "parse" than the word.

> # The "Fix my mess" plan
> [... long plan involving reverting ...]
> This should reduce the risk of build failures since any application I
> missed which switched to showHide*() methods will continue to build but
> get warnings for one week. Does this make sense?

It would be simpler to just revert the kdebase/apps commits, too, instead of
API juggling. I compile trunk daily, so if there is commit missed, I can spot
it and revert :)

> Applications which have "[ ] Show <ui item>" menu
> items should not change them  to "[x] Hide <ui item>" when it is
> toggled. This is clearly wrong.

Exactly. Left-over from the days where KToggleAction did not force a check
box.

David Faure is the maintainer of XMLGUI stuff and actually was in favor of
those API changes, so wait for his decision.

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)