why kdelibs?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 2 18:05:09 GMT 2010

On Monday, November 1, 2010, Diederik van der Boor wrote:
> I can't stress enough it needs a good plan to limit impact on apps.

this would be absolutely critical indeed.

something that is completely opaque to me in this discussion so far is whether
the idea is to:

a) grind kdelibs into a fine dust of classes, rename some from KFoo to QFoo
(and all the Qtification that implies) and reorganize the remainder (which
should be a minimal set) into a new set of K* libs

or

b) define a new set of granularities for libraries in kdelibs (non-ui,
desktop, framework, etc.) and split up our existing classes along those new
lines, keeping names largely in place

or

c) do a bit of (a) and (b), and if so what the guidelines for deciding when to
do (a) and when to do (b) are

probably because it isn't a concrete plan yet, but rather a general proposal.
these are the kinds of details that are needed before we can move on.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se