"Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt

Sean Harmer sh at theharmers.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 13:47:28 GMT 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010 13:31:15 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Matthias Fuchs <mat69 at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Am Montag 01 November 2010, 11:53:01 schrieb Sean Harmer:

> > Yeah writing such an overview will probably be very hard in itself, since
> > kdelibs is very large.
> > In that regard it is kinda "refreshing" -- but also demotivating since
> > that issue has not been solved -- to see that we are not the only ones
> > with such problems, e.g. imo boost faces the exact same problem. Boost
> > is so large that it is quite hard to grasp what all you can do with it.
> > And even if you know what you can do, often it is not clear if that
> > would be a "good" -- e.g. fast -- path to go.
>
> There is a *huge* need of:
>
> a) a book (and a good one, not just a few tutorials like the ones in
> Techbase) on how to develop applications with KDE
> b) a huge improvement in the apidox. Take a look to
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest , then take a look at
> http://api.kde.org. The difference is abysmal.

Agreed. The KDE2 book was really useful at the time but it is just too out of
date now.

It would also be nice to have some pre-generated pch files for kde libs that
can be imported into qt-creator. I know these are relatively simple to
generate from the source but again it would reduce another barrier to entry
for would-be KDE developers.

Kind regards,

Sean

believed to be clean.