"Cornelius's grand plan" - Merging KDElibs into Qt

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Mon Nov 1 13:18:34 GMT 2010

Am Montag 01 November 2010, 11:53:01 schrieb Sean Harmer:
[...]
> One other thing that I have found that could be prohibiting wider adoption
> of KDE as a development platform is the lack of coherent documentation.
> Please do not take this as a criticism, techbase/userbase/api docs are all
> excellent resources and are constantly improving. From experience of
> trying to get some colleagues to utilise the KDE libraries who had not
> been exposed to them before, a large hurdle was discoverability of the
> APIs. A lot of the information is there it's just a question of finding
> it. If information is difficult or time consuming to find this discourages
> developers from coming back again or from branching out and using other
> facilities in the future. I do not pretend to have the answers here. KDE
> is a huge project and for the most part developed by volunteers and godo
> documentation is very difficult and hugely expensive in terms of
> time/blood/sweat/tears to write. Kudos to all the documentation writers
> (and devs/artists/testers etc).

I agree on that.
I often don't know if something I try to do exists already in kdelibs and then
you can see me asking on irc and fantastic people like dfaure answer me.
Despite how great that has been for me this is really not a good path for a
wider kdelibs adoption.
Maybe a good overview website could help here. There the different classes are
split into groups and you find out fast what they are for.

Yeah writing such an overview will probably be very hard in itself, since
kdelibs is very large.
In that regard it is kinda "refreshing" -- but also demotivating since that
issue has not been solved -- to see that we are not the only ones with such
problems, e.g. imo boost faces the exact same problem. Boost is so large that
it is quite hard to grasp what all you can do with it. And even if you know
what you can do, often it is not clear if that would be a "good" -- e.g. fast
-- path to go.