[Kde-maemo] sprint opportunity

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu May 27 14:36:19 BST 2010

On Thursday 27 May 2010 11:40:24 Markus wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 27 Mai 2010, 11:15:42 schrieb Marco Martin:
> > but i don't really see big value in a Symbian port.
> > maybe i'm wrong and Symbian will be (again?) _the_ mobile platform in the
> > future, but the direction of the world doesn't appear to be that right
> > now
>
> We can't know whether you are right or wrong, because we have only very
> vague clues about Symbian's future.
> AFAIK Nokia so far only confirmed that there will be Symbian devices in
> 2011, but that's it. No specs about hardware performance, screen sizes, or
> the time beyond 2011.

You really have to make the distinction between different Symbian devices. S60 might
be replaced by MeeGo on some devices (if that ever takes off, not a given IMO). S30
and S40 are rather solid as platforms, and I wouldn't bet on them disappearing. Now
S60 devices would probably be powerful enough to run KDE software, S40 and below
likely aren't.

Then, most of the work that will be done on making KDE stuff run well on MeeGo will
also benefit a Symbian port, likewise, experience gathered on Symbian will be
benefitial to other areas as well.

So in that sense, I'd agree that Symbian is less critical for us right now, but let's
also not forget where Symbian is now, and that's pretty big, to say the least.
--
sebas