Freespacenotifier KDED module in kdereview

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue May 18 12:23:35 BST 2010

On Monday 17 of May 2010, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Monday 17 of May 2010, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> > I've a question about this module, as far as I can understand it polls
> > the disk on which $HOME is mounted every minute to check the available
> > disk space. This is something we carefully avoided to do in the plasma
> > device notifier because by doing so we keep the disks awake instead of
> > letting them sleep if unused if the user desires so. This module would
> > probably upset laptop users, am I right? (ervin?)
>
>  Do you have some more details on this? I tried to keep my HDD spun down
> after I had bought SSD and there was always something that kept spinning it
> up, so eventually I've given up and I keep it unmounted until needed. As
> far as I know laptops have a special mode for allowing them to spin down
> the drive that does more aggressive caching and I don't understand why free
> space, which is something very easy to cache, should keep the actual drive
> active.

 I've asked the local filesystem expert and according to him I'm right - under
normal circumstances at least for ext2-4, xfs and reiserfs statfs() means
kernel just reads values from memory, thus no disk access. So unless somebody
can prove otherwise I consider this a non-issue.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer
 l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org