Freespacenotifier KDED module in kdereview

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue May 18 04:09:31 BST 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 16:57:29 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> I've a question about this module, as far as I can understand it polls  the
> disk on which $HOME is mounted every minute to check the available disk
> space. This is something we carefully avoided to do in the plasma device
> notifier because by doing so we keep the disks awake instead of letting
> them sleep if unused if the user desires so. This module would probably
> upset laptop users, am I right? (ervin?)

Definitely. Also if they spin up/down all the time because of something like
that you effectively lessen the lifetime of the disk.

Now if the underlying platform (be it the kernel and ultimately udisks)
doesn't provide us the necessary facilities (which honestly I wouldn't be
surprised of) to do that properly (aka by not polling) then we're basically
screwed...

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net