About the KRunner webshortcut plugin...

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 15 16:37:28 BST 2010

On May 14, 2010, Dawit A wrote:
> If this was done because there is some feature or functionality missing
> from the KURIFilter class, then the missing functionality needs to be
> added there. This blatant misuse of the configuration files need to stop.

i think the problem is that KURIFilter is not well known :)

i took a look yesterday at using KURIFilter in the krunner plugin and the
questions i eneded up with were:

* threading: is it safe to run KURIFilter outside the GUI thread? is it safe
to have two KURIFilter classes in different threads making the same calls?
even better, is it safe to use one KURIFilter class in multiple threads? (the
latter isn't a requirement; the first two are)

* information for the user: the runner plugin advertises what it is capable
of, e.g. "gg:<query> => Search on google for <query>". KURIFilter gives a list
of plugins with QStringList pluginNames() const, but how do we go from that to
a rich set of information (KPluginInfo or KService objects would be perfect)

* documentation: the filter types are strings; two are documented in the
apidox and one has to know frm the name of them what they do (kshorturifilter
and localdomainfilter). is there documentation on what kind of filters exist
and what they do?

thanks.

--
Aaron J. Seigo