removal of KWhatsThisManager?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat May 15 01:13:01 BST 2010

Em Sábado 15. Maio 2010, às 00.46.34, David Jarvie escreveu:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 10:25 pm, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> > Am Friday 14 May 2010 schrieb Hugo Pereira Da Costa:
> >> To jump on that, and because we discussed it recently in #oxygen,
> >> the appearance of what's this dialogs is _ugly_ (what the hell is this
> >> patterned shadow ?)
> >
> > pre-composite way to handle things
> > (popups had them as well :-)
> >
> >> and not stylable (the QWhatsThat::paintEvent method is
> >> 100% hard coded and makes no access to the widget style() at all.
> >
> > you could probably check for "widget->isWindow() && widget-
> >
> >>inherits("QWhatsThat")" and set an own palette (this time with
> >>
> > glossy/gradient/texture brush ;-) but it's frankly simply not worth it
> > :-P
> >
> > If one really (really!) needs to hint "what's this" i'd recommand to
> > a) review your UI (have a look at the Qt API sample: "open file"
> > toolbutton..)
> > b) add a tooltip and remove it after being shown 4 or 5 times.
> >
> > I do not think KDE applications should make any use of this.
>
> I find whats-this a very useful thing sometimes, as a user. It can
> provide, when appropriate, a much longer text than would be reasonable for
> a tooltip. Sometimes when you can't understand exactly what a control is
> for, the choice is opening the manual, searching through it to try to find
> the right section to see if what you want to know is stated there - a long
> process - or, just view a whats-this, which, if it's implemented, can give
> a quickly accessed bit of context help.
>
> We should be promoting whats-this (by making whats-this texts universal),
> not getting rid of it.

That's not the discussion here.

No one is proposing getting rid of the whats-this text.

Aaron's proposing the removal of the feature that allows people to submit the
whats-this text via email, to a hardcoded address that currently bounces.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358