DocBook XML & XSL: work in progess, new dependencies

David Hubner hubnerd at ntlworld.com
Thu May 13 23:25:36 BST 2010

On Saturday 01 May 2010 14:24:37 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently working (with Albert) to remove the embedded copies of DocBook
> XML and XSL (http://www.docbook.org/) from kdelibs/kdoctools. This change (if
> accepted) will introduce two new dependencies (see below).
> I plan to complete this task before SC 4.5 will be released, but I won't be
> able to commit all the changes before the dependency freeze.
>
> The steps involved are:
>
> 0) Use only one version of DocBook XML:
>    * convert the remaining docbook manuals which uses the old DTD
>      (V4.1.2) to V4.2 (done);
>    * regenerate the translated docbooks (in progress);
>    * remove the obsolete/ directory, which is needed only for DTD v4.1.2,
>      from kdoctools/customization (planned for next week).
>
> 1) Remove DocBook XML DTDs from kdoctools/docbook/ (xml-dtd-4.x) and
> use the external ones. This step introduces a dependency on DocBook XML DTDs,
> which are packaged on many distributions:
> ArchLinux: docbook-xml
> Debian & Ubuntu: docbook-xml
> Fedora: docbook-dtds
> Gentoo: docbook-xml-dtd-4.2-r2
> Mandriva: docbook-dtd42-xml
> OpenSuse: docbook_4

> to kde-buildsystem for review.
>

> 2) Remove DocBooc XSL from kdocbook/docbook/xsl, move customizations to
> kdoctools/customizaton. This step will introduce a dependency on DocBook XSL,
> which are again packaged on many distributions.

> customizations that have been directly made to kdoctools/docbook/xsl/ must be
> properly identified and moved to the proper place.
>
> Please consider that those changes should not touch the "core" kdelibs at
> all; only the generation of docbook will be affected.
>
> Any comments/remarks?
>
> Regards

On a side note, at the moment when i try and build a application manual search index in KHelpCenter KDE 4.4, i get the following error  "/usr/share/apps/ksgmltools2/customization/htdig_index.xsl line 38 element template xsltCompilePattern : failed to compile 'sect*/title'" for every help doc it tries to compile.

Will this be fixed with the removal of embedded copies? Or do i have to look at what is causing this and if broken patch it? :)

Thanks

PS: Can anyone else replicate this error? KHelpCenter->Search Options->Build Search Index?
--
David Hubner
IRC: hubnerd
MSN: hubnerd at hubnerd.org